Thursday, November 21, 2013

We need men who can dream of things that never were.~ JFK

In November 1963 my family was emigrating from England. We had left England's Lake District, where scraping together enough snow to make a tiny snowman perhaps half a meter high was a huge deal, only to  arrive in Weyburn Saskatchewan during one of the worst winters they had seen in years.

But this is about a journey.

 I am sure, although I do not remember, that being on a train and no longer seasick on a boat, was a great relief.  Sailing the wintery North Atlantic seems a questionable choice, but at that time my mother refused to get on a plane, so in November of 1963 we were traveling  from Quebec to Saskatchewan by train.

I am sure, although I do not remember, that my brother and I were happy to be on this new adventure, safe and warm watching the white, flat horizon rush by.

I am sure, although I do not remember, that my parents were upset, shocked, appalled

But I remember the black porters crying.  I will always remember that.

" For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. " ~ John F Kennedy

No comments: