Friday, October 18, 2013

I Won't Grow Up!

This morning I have seen two videos of old women.  One an 86 year old gymnast and the other an old lady doing a zumba class.  And while I love watching them I kind of have a problem with the way they are being presented. 

If a person is in good health, why shouldn't they continue to do things they have enjoyed doing all their lives?

The sense I get is that most  people are amazed that anyone in their 70's, 80's, 90's, can even get out of their chairs and should be roundly applauded every time they do so. They are being dragged out like a circus act. And read the comments;  " so cute ", " bless her".   I cannot speak for these ladies, but I  ain't cute !  Never aspired to be.

There are people in a yoga class I take who are older than me and stronger and more flexible and more focused.  Their practice is inspiring regardless of their age.   I have had a 20 something come up to me in the change rooms at the same yoga studio and tell me " Oh my god you are such an inspiration!"  I know it was meant as a compliment but it was hugely condescending. 

I think my very first blog on this site was about still being who I am regardless of how society sees me.  In other words those of us, particularly women, of a certain age, still have stories to tell, still want to dance and sing and create.  And it should be seen as a  natural progression, not an anomaly.

Today's last word goes to Helen Mirren ~ " Two phrases I hate in reference to female characters are 'strong' and 'feisty'.  They really annoy me.  It's the most condescending thing.  You say that about a three year old.  It infantilizes women."
Photo of Beatrice Wood





1 comment:

Geoff Mays said...

Well said. We are who we are regardless of age. Accept that everyone regardless of age, race, religion, creed, culture etc contributes and is part of everything. We don't stop being just because of age, w don't start doing just because of a certain marker - we contribute and exist because of who we are.