Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's simple really

So here's my creative life story.
  I trained to be an actor, I didn't act but moved more towards music instead, then I did nothing creatively, then I came back to acting.  Sounds simple right?  Of course it wasn't, there was all kinds of angst and navel gazing and pity parties along the way,  and some triumphs, some really glorious triumphs.

When I was trying to get back to acting and bemoaning the fact that I didn't know how to start, or what to do, and why wasn't the universe giving me signs or something, geez; a really wonderful friend of mine said, " you want to act, just act ".  Holy..........what? Can you imagine how pissed I was?  It wasn't that simple!  What did he mean; just act.  There were people to know and secret hand shakes to learn and anyway I wasn't thin enough yet or pretty enough yet, my stars hadn't aligned.

Thing is, it turns out, it really is that simple.

 I don't care what your creative pursuit is, writing, painting dancing, acting , hell parenting!  We learn how to do, by doing.  We build the bridge as we are crossing it.  There is no perfect class that will make us a successful whatever it is we want to be.  There is no super agent who can catapult you into stardom the minute you sign with them.  No one gets a call from Mr Spielberg looking for a, crazy talented, unknown to star in his next film.  Well to be fair I think the last point has happened for a tiny, teeny, tiny minority of very lucky actors.  And there is that word LUCK.  Yes luck, that capricious  little bugger, seems to visit some more than others, but all the luck in the world won't help if you aren't doing, being  practicing,  getting better at what you are.

So write, paint, make music, take photographs, dance, act, make a really awesome totally nude performance piece. Circumstances will never be perfect and it really is as simple as starting.

 The last word today goes to Tom Stoppard ~" I never had any frustration about writing uncredited.  I always felt that the satisfaction of doing it was in the doing of it, really, and getting recognized by the small number of people that know what you did."


2 comments:

me said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS!!! YES YES YES!!!
(all caps. pretty serious...)
;)

Unknown said...

Welcome, me :)